Friday, November 9, 2007

It All Started With The Circumcision Issue

When we were expecting Samuel the talk of circumcision didn't come up until the last days. Both of us just assumed that he would get this 'routine' procedure done. We wanted to do some research though into why exactly this is routine and if this normal procedure in America was necessary. We quickly discovered that it was not. There has always been talk that having the foreskin of a male intact would cause health issues. That's why we thought it was worth it. But once we started doing more research we realized it was not as worth it as we had thought. It's simply a tradition. There are health concerns associated with keeping the foreskin intact, but they don't outweigh the concerns of circumcision itself.

My good friend, who was my labor coach, hooked me up with another woman who she knew that decided not to circumcise her boys. She was extremely natural in her birthing plan and I wanted to know more about her perspective on it all. (It was literally days before Samuel was born that this whole process was going on). While talking to this woman I asked her what was her ultimate reason for not circumcising. Her answer was: "if the world does it, we do not." Wow, that hit me like a ton of bricks. Why was her answer so shocking to me? It does say in the Scriptures:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Rom 12:1-2).
She sure wasn't conforming on that issue. She was putting all her energy and resources at God's disposal and trusting him to guide her. If it was a decision that was just foolish that would be one thing, but it was clearly a decision that could go either way. She allowed God to move in her heart whatever way he saw fit. She wasn't implying that absolutely everything that goes on around her is wrong, she was merely saying that she tries to have God lead her in her decisions and does not just do something because everyone else is. But, most likely if the world is doing it, it doesn't align with God's will, because our world is sinful and does not want to do the will of God. The insight I received from her really started to make me wonder. What else was I just naturally conforming to the pattern of this world without even realizing it?

It clearly says in the Bible:

In ALL your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Prov. 3:6).
I clearly had a ways to go to being able to know God's good, pleasing and perfect will because I was not acknowledging him in all my ways. If I was not acknowledging him in an area, I could guarantee that there was no way I could possibly know his will in that area.

This was a break-through for me as I learned to follow God's lead in my life. I don't know if or how he would choose to convict others of this same issue, all I know is what he's done in my life. There are many things I know he has yet to convict me of that he has already convicted others of. But, for me, that whole issue has truly started to transformed my heart and mind over the past year and a half. I did not have the time to dive into all that the issue would entail, but I knew I was on the brink of something different in my life. A different perspective. Looking at each and every option as one where I could just make the decision myself, or where I could seek God's guidance and have him lead me where he saw fit.

I regret not being as spiritually along in my journey as I am now. I regret allowing the birthing process with Samuel to go the way it did. But, now that I am truly starting to understand this concept of acknowledging God in ALL my ways I am beginning to see his good, pleasing and perfect will for childbirth. It is far from what the world sees as the best way to give birth, but that's okay. God said we would stand out if we followed him.

Here is a link to the American Academy of Pediatrics' Circumcision Policy if you care to know more about this issue.

2 comments:

FredR said...

Basically, if a man made law goes against the logical natural laws of physics, it is not the will of the creator. Circumcision is one of those ungodly illogical unnatural laws of man. There are consequences for going against nature. Hitler and the Holocaust, Husane and the ethnic cleansing, Charly the Amish girl killer, Vtech Cho's murder/suicide, The 9/11 suicide/murders. These are all atroseties committed by genitally terrorized men.
Seek and ye shall find.

Jamie said...

If that woman lived anywhere else in the Western world she'd actually be a follower. Shame isn't it, that we're so backwards?

Its great you are questioning things no one else does and researching. I love to see this in other people... makes me feel less weird!