Monday, January 21, 2008

Bible / Scripture Verses for Labor and Delivery

A few months ago I read this list of Scripture verses on a blog from a woman who had a homebirth and I just loved the idea. She wrote them on index cards and read through them during her labor. I am going to be adding to the list as I find other verses that speak to me. I thought I would share this list for those of you who would enjoy them for your birth as well.

Isaiah 40:11
He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.

Psalm 5:3
In the morning, O LORD,
you hear my voice;
in the morning
I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

Phillipians 2:13
For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Proverbs 3:5&6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Hebrews 13:5b-6
God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

Psalm 91:2
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

Psalm 33:20-22
We wait in hope for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love rest upon us,
O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

Psalm 139: 13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Philippians 4:12-13
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry,
whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Psalm 124:8
Our help is in the name of the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

Psalm 62:1-2
My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress,
I will never be shaken.

Isaiah 40:31
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those great reminders!!

Jennifer said...

These are wonderful. I think I'll put them on index cards for my labor bag!

Susana said...

Thanks for sharing these! I love the scripture in Isaiah particularly. So many people don't realize how many childbirth related scriptures there are. I have written songs, prayers and articles based on many scriptures.

I like your blog. God Bless you and baby!
Susana

Anonymous said...

If you like music, I found incredible inspiration from a compilation of gospel music I put together on ITunes for my last birth. I am working on another one for this next baby. I know the music is where my smile came from while in labor. It is hard not to smile when you are Praising.

Abbi said...

What great strength giving verses!